Not registered? Sign up now
Home > For Students

For Students


During your 4 years at Hotelschool The Hague you will follow two international placements. The Placement Office will guide you through this process.

You will receive a login for the placement office website and you will be instructed on how to use it effectively. 

Watch the video below to hear personal experiences from one of our students and one of our alumni.


Find placement

Practical Placement

To provide a learning experience in the hotel industry, practical placements take place in an international four or five star hotel during a period of 19 weeks to 6 months.

The practical placement is an opportunity to learn about different cultures, improve foreign languages, build a network and of course build your cv.

The Placement Office has amazing opportunities for students available and provides student service and arranges the placements directly.

Most practical placements take place in Europe, but there are also a number of placements available outside of Europe for students who have previous, relevant and extraordinary international work experience in the hospitality industry.
More detailed information about placements and the placing procedure will be given during the placement workshops and can also be found in the course guide, to be found on Myhotelschool.nl, workspace Course Guides. 

FAQ: Pre-practical placement

Please note that all answers in this FAQ are merely summaries and do not replace the full text in the course guide, to be found on placement office worksite on MyHotelschool. This FAQ consists of three parts; each part refers to a specific part of the practical placement.

1. The pre-placement period
2. The placement period
3. The post-placement period

1. The pre-placement period

What does the Placement Office do and what can they do for me?
- We assign every student a dedicated placement coordinator
- We organise placement workshops and Industry presentations
- We advise you on how to write a CV and motivation letter
- We advise you about placement possibilities
- We introduce you to your preferred placement hotels
- We provide you with your placement contract
- We supply documents for DUO, Erasmus Grant etc.

What is expected of me as a student?
- Attend workshops – see your timetable
- You are expected to do extensive research
- You are expected to attend Industry Exchange events
- You are expected to meet the communicated deadlines
- You are expected to follow up on your 2 applications with hotels
- You are expected to update your dedicated coordinator on the progress of your application
- You are responsible for the correct and timeous visa application
- When arranging your own placement, you are expected to get your placement and job description approved by the Placement Office (see checklist in course guide)

When am I eligible for an exemption from the practical placement?
Only if you possess significant working experience and/or have previously followed a practical placement within the hospitality industry you might be eligible for an exemption. The requirements are listed in the course guide. The form that you need to request an exemption can be obtained after making an appointment with your placement coordinator. Please also plan a meeting with your personal school tutor to discuss your exemption.

How many study points do I get for my practical placement?
From start to finish, your placement is worth a total of 30 ECs – but these are not part of your propaedeutic.

At what kind of company are practical placements organised?
A full list of requirements for HTH placement hotels can be found in the course guide. The most important requirements are:
- Your placement takes place in a country other than your home country
- The hotel must be an international four or five star CHAIN hotel with multiple departments
- A placement has a minimum duration of 19 weeks
- If possible, the placement needs to be performed in 2 different outlets (can be within the same department)
- The company has to offer you some sort of remuneration for your tasks (housing and/or salary)
- The company adheres to the legal work and rest times as set by the government of the country you will perform your placement in. NB: in some countries the standard work week is 6 days, with 1 rest day.

In which countries can I do my placement?
Please refer to the full list of (im)possible placement locations on this website and the placement office worksite on MyHotelschool.

Non EU-Students
- Non-EU students do not need a work permit for placements in The Netherlands.
- By far, most Non-EU students have severe difficulties with securing the right work permits for a placement in an EU country. Therefore, Non-EU students are advised to focus on The Netherlands or countries outside the European Union.

Can I go on placement with my ID Card or do I need a passport?
All students need a valid passport for their placement. An ID Card is NOT sufficient for registration for work in another country or a visa application process. An ID Card is only sufficient for travelling. All students need to check:
- The validity ( expiry date ) of their passport
- The required validity during the visa application process and placement itself. This varies per country.

When do I qualify for a placement outside of Europe?
In general, all students qualify for a placement outside of Europe. However, most hotels ‘far away’ do look at your level of work experience, maturity, travel experience etc. Also, placement hotels are not a holiday destination and they will test your true interest and motivation for the placement itself.

Is there a list of all possible placement positions?
Yes, all available positions at all Hotelschool The Hague partner hotels can be found on this website. NB: This list is always subject to change as hotels may either add or withdraw vacancies at any moment in time. The availability may vary per semester due to seasonality, budgets, visa changes, renovations etc. etc.

Can I arrange a practical placement myself?
Yes you can. From experience we know there are always a few students that have already built an interesting network themselves.
-Always consult the Placement Office prior to contacting a company. A self-arranged placement is only valid when approved by the Placement Office.
The criteria for approval can be found in the course guide.
- It needs to be a new partnership. You cannot arrange your own placement with a current HTH partner.
-The placement takes place in one of the countries stated on the country list.
NB: you are not allowed to randomly call and email hotels that you have found online. From experience we know this is very time consuming and does not lead to any result. Please only use your network and actual strong connections.

Can I get help with my CV?
Yes you can, but we do feel you should be capable of setting up your own CV. We advise you to use the template posted on our worksite on MyHotelschool. If you create your own CV format, please always use the Hotelschool The Hague logo, font Verdana,Calibri or Arial and include the following:
- Personal contact details (incl Skype details and cell phone nr )
- Educational experience in chronological order, current school on top
- Work experience in chronological order, current job on top

How and when will I be introduced?
The deadline for applying for a specific placement is communicated in WS#1. If you have met this deadline and have applied for a maximum of 2 positions via this website, your placement coordinator will send your CV’s + motivation letters to these hotels. After the introduction you will receive the contact details. It is subsequently up to YOU, the student, to follow up on these applications, to set up an interview and to keep your coordinator informed.

How long do I have to wait before I can contact my hotels?
It usually takes a while before companies will phone or email you. This might even take 3 - 4 weeks. We strongly urge you to wait at least 10 working days before sending a friendly reminder via email.
If you really have not heard anything after 4 weeks and not made any progress you have to set up a meeting with your coordinator to discuss the progress. Please be patient. You are always welcome to send an email or stop by our office during office hours.

Can I contact the companies myself?
Yes. You are in charge of following up on your applications. Your placement coordinator will supply you with the right contact details.

How do I (know if I need to) apply for a work permit / visa?
Before applying for a placement in a certain country you need to do extensive research on the visa process. This varies per nationality, per country. Many visa processes include a lot of very detailed paperwork and some even take up to 4 months.

Any visa process is personal and individual. The Placement Office can only support you in this, we are not allowed to apply for them on your behalf.
You are always welcome for advice. The placement office is not responsible for any costs made in case of a visa being denied.

How do I apply for the Erasmus Grant that school provides?
More information about the Erasmus Grant is provided during placement WS #3 and is also available in our worksite on MyHotelschool. You have the right to apply for the grant, not to actually receive it.

I will not be 18 when starting my placement – what now?
The labour laws for students <18 are very different and have a major impact on the possibilities regarding location and position. If you will not turn 18 before the end of your first year at school, please inform your dedicated placement coordinator.

FAQ: On practical placement

Do I have to pay school fees when I am on placement?
Yes, you still have to pay tuition fees as your placement is part of the education. Your government allowance will therefor also continue.

What can my school tutor do for me?
- You and your tutor will meet before you leave and discuss your learning goals
- You and your tutor need to agree on the means and frequency of communication. Your tutor is there to assist and advice you in the writing of your placement report.
- Visit you if this visits fits in with the visiting plan of the Placement Office.
- Advice you if you are confronted with problems and help you solve them
- Please check the course guide for guidelines for the communication with your tutor. Fixed contact moments are determined to make sure you send updates.
Basically, you always turn to your tutor first in case of any questions or concerns.

What is my hotel tutor going to do for me?
The company will assign you a mentor too. This mentor is expected to;
- Play a coaching role in your placement progress
- Take you through the placement programme
- Arrange your company introduction
- Hold at least one progress interview and one assessment interview with you
- Help you by providing assistance in solving problems regarding your placement tasks and work environment and by answering your questions.
- Function as a contact, between the company and the Placement Office.

Am I insured during my practical placement?
You are responsible for finding a suitable health insurance, travel insurance, liability insurance and third party insurance. The school does not offer a collective insurance. Please check with your insurance company at home if and what they cover during your placement abroad. Also, get yourself properly informed by an expert (company) about the possibilities and limitations of your coverage. School does not organise your insurance. Don’t just take a risk and rely on your placement company to arrange your insurance for you.

How is my practical placement graded?
Students are assessed by the Placement Tutor on a combination of three elements:
1 – Reports (40%)
- A learning journal ( basis for the reports )
- An intermediate report ( for feedback )
- A final report
2 – Performance during the placement (40%)
3 – Professional attitude towards placement office and placement tutor (20%)
Each of the three elements must score at least 55 out of 100.

How is my personal performance assessed?
During the placement you’re responsible for your assessments. You need to come home with at least 2 assessment forms. You will be informed about these particular forms during WS #3. If the company does not set any evaluation dates, you will need to do so yourself. Your company tutor needs to use the school’s assessment forms.

Where can I find the guidelines for my placement report?
All guidelines for the report can be found on the worksite ‘practical placement’ on MyHotelschool.
If you have any questions about your report during your placement you need to contact your placement tutor or the Core Team, not the Placement Office.
Just to make sure; all placement reports need to be written in English.

What to do if I really don’t like my placement and want to go home?
It is strictly forbidden to terminate your placement on your own initiative and without consent of the Placement Office. (see course guide) As addressed earlier you need to contact your placement tutor as soon as problems arise. Your tutor will then be able to assist you and try to work out a strategy or plan to finish your placement as planned. If necessary the Placement Office will assist too. If you decide to terminate your placement without consent from the Placement Office the consequences will be severe and can even result in suspension. This is of course a very rare situation. In case of any problems; you, your tutor and the Placement Office will work together on finding solutions.

FAQ: Post-practical placement

When and where do I have to hand in my practical placement report?
All guidelines for the report can be found on the worksite ‘practical placement’ on MyHotelschool.
If you have any questions about your report during your placement you need to contact your placement tutor or the Core Team, not the placement office.

FAQ: Placement countries

In which countries can I do my practical placement?
Your practical placement has to take place in a country that cannot be considered your home country. To ensure and inspire intercultural learning and growth, your placement country needs to be new to you.

In order to assist you with making a selection out of all the possible locations, the placement office has composed 3 lists of the most common countries, based on current student wishes. If the country you had in mind is not on the list, please contact your placement coordinator for more information.

1. Countries in which Hotelschool The Hague is represented and that the placement office has a network of interesting options.

2. Countries in which Hotelschool The Hague is not represented (due to for example visa restrictions) students are welcome to try themselves – if connected and for example already in possession of the right paperwork. (please go to the full list on the placement office worksite on MyHotelschool) 

3. Countries in which Hotelschool The Hague students are not allowed to arrange a practical placement due to safety issues, impossibilities to obtain a visa etc. (please go to the full list on the placement office worksite on MyHotelschool)

1. Most common placement countries, based on current student wishes (post COVID era)

Aruba, Bonaire, St. Maarten
- Dutch students going to Aruba, Bonaire or St. Maarten also need to apply for a work permit (Verklaring van Rechtswege). Being Dutch does not exempt you
- Aruban companies have a strong preference for students with a Dutch or US passport as those visa are easiest to obtain and not often rejected
- Salary around 400 euro per month offered, free housing very uncommon

China Mainland (see Hong Kong too)
- Very difficult to arrange a visa - complex
- No work permits available for operational placement and placements shorter than 12 months

European Union Countries ( excl. Spain and UK )
- Full possible for EU students or Schengen students
- Very limited availability for non-EU students
- The Netherlands is always an option for NON-EU or Non-Schengen students
- Valid passport required – ID card is NOT sufficient for work registration
- Salary varies per country, fixed monthly amount. Housing only outside of cities

Hong Kong
- Extremely expensive accommodation and cost of living
- Very difficult to arrange a visa – complex process
- Health Check required, at own expense
- Basic salary around 400 USD per month offered, housing not common

- Only possible for students with an Israeli passport or residence permit. Jewish students with other nationalities are also eligible for the permit, but need to obtain proof of their background via a rabbi
- Salary not mandatory due to local law, housing not offered

- The visa process requires certified and notarized copies of the birth certificate, Police Clearance Record and passport – all in English
- Basic salary is about 120 USD per week and free housing

Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur, Penang and Langkawi areas only)
- Only a few work permits available per company/hotel, therefore a long application process
- For Dutch students application possible via external company MDBC

Martinique and St. Barth’s
- French Extended Territory but not part of the EU 
- Placements usually start in May or November due to seasonality
- Salary not common, housing only available on the resorts

Monaco (not part of the European Union)
- Only possible for EU students or Schengen students
- Extremely expensive cost of living
- Basic salary of min. 450 euro per month offered, housing is common
- Excluded for Erasmus grant

Morocco (Marrakech area mainly)
- Open to all nationalities
- No salary offered per local law, housing is common

New Zealand
- Most companies do not offer compensation based on the current labor laws
- Necessity to apply for a work visa
- Salary varies per hotel, housing is commonly offered but a requirement

South Africa
- Limited number of work permits available due to Black Economic Empowerment Code
- Background Check and Health Check required, at own expense
- There is an age restriction on the work permits for students older than 25 years

- Open to EU-students with a valid passport – ID card is not sufficient
- All students need a Spanish Social Security Number (NIE). This has to be obtained in Spain before the internships starts.

Spanish Islands (Ibiza, Tenerife and Mallorca possible)
- Placements start in early February and early July due to clear peak seasons
- Open to EU-students with a valid passport – ID card is not sufficient
- Alll students need a Spanish Social Security Number (NIE). This has to be obtained on the island before the internships starts.

St. Lucia, Antigua, Grenada
- Common work schedule is 6 days per week, 1 resting day
- Basic salary is about 120 USD per week and free housing 

Switzerland (not part of the European Union)
- For Practical Placement limited opportunities at hotel members of hotelleriesuisse, the Swiss Hotel Association
- For LYCar also possible if work permit is granted based on direct-entry position

Thailand (Bangkok, Koh Samui, Phuket and Hua Hin possible)
- Open to all nationalities
- Salary varies per hotel, housing is commonly offered but a requirement

The Netherlands
- LYCAR: possible for all students
- Practical Placement: only possible for students that have not grown up in The Netherlands
- Non-EU students do not need a work permit. Their IND-permit suffices

United Arab Emirates
- Housing organized by placement company, mostly in compounds and shared
- Common work schedule is 6 days per week, 1 resting day
- Background Check and Health Check required, at own expense
- There is an age restriction to work in Food & Beverage outlets, only possible for students older than 21 years

United Kingdom 
- Work permit or visa needed for all EU-students - more information will follow soon
- No sponsorship available for non-EU students in hospitality industry unfortunately
- Salary is always the minimum hourly wage (subject to tax), housing rarely offered

United States of America
- Expensive work permit (J1-trainee or J1-intern) cost >2000 USD in total
- Strong advice to work with intermediate agent
- Background check and Health Check required, at own expense
- Original documents required, most students need to travel home for this.
- Salary is always the minimum hourly wage (subject to tax), housing rarely offered


Management Placement

Phase 3: Management Placement – Launching Your Career
At the start of phase 3 a mandatory class for the module ‘Launching Your Career’ is scheduled. Please note there is only one class on Lycar, so do not miss this. This class is an introduction into Lycar. During this module you will design your own graduation plan and eventually you will show you are ready to receive the Bachelor degree in Hospitality Management!

In your Career Launching Plan you will be asked to describe what you have worked on during your placement(s) and assignment(s). You will be tested on your Bachelor level of working and thinking, your analytical skills, to see if you are ready for a career in the hospitality industry.

To do this you will receive the help of a Career Coach and a Placement Coordinator and you can request an Expert Coach. During the class we will explain the different roles to you, you hear about the requirements of Lycar, you hear some examples of interesting CLP’s (Career Launching Plans) and some students who just finished Lycar will share their experiences. Besides this you find out about different sources Hotelschool The Hague provides to help you 'Launching your career'.

On this website you can browse through all sorts of Lycar opportunities ranging from management assignments to assistant positions. Find out the different opportunities by clicking ‘Find Your Placement’ and search. You can apply directly, just make sure you had a meeting with your Career Coach and Placement Coordinator so we can assist you in the best way possible.

To learn more about opportunities you can visit company presentations. This is done throughout the year, please find details in the calendar.
Very often there are direct interview possibilities. The Industry Days offer great opportunities to network and get in contact with placement companies. Please keep yourself informed via the calendar on these activities planned.


Login to search for placements.

Find placement

Campus The Hague

Brusselselaan 2
2587 AH Den Haag
Tel +31 70 351 24 81
E-mail info@hotelschool.nl


Campus Amsterdam

Jan Evertsenstraat 171
1057 BW Amsterdam
Tel +31 20 851 29 00